Graduate Medical Education (GME) Council
Montana Graduate Medical Education Council
Created in 2011 to increase the physician workforce in Montana by developing an infrastructure to support Residency Graduate Medical Education (GME).
To improve the healthcare of Montanans by building the state’s physician workforce, through the identification of approaches to support, advocate and grow Graduate Medical Education within Montana.
- Track, measure and make recommendations regarding the physician workforce and MT GME needs
- Help coordinate new MT GME development
- Seek financial support to sustain and expand MT GME
- Work with GME programs to maintaining high quality GME experiences
- Advocate and effectively communicate the value and benefits of a robust MT GME effort
Physician Workforce Issues
- Shortage: The Montana Primary Care Office reports that 52 of the 56 counties in Montana are designated as Primary Care Health Professions Shortage Areas.
- Maldistribution: Physician location data indicates 75.79% of Montana physicians practice in the seven largest communities. This maldistribution is a significant problem. Only 35% of Montana’s population lives in these seven communities, while 65% of the state population lives outside these locations.
- Aging workforce: 31.2% of Montana physicians are over the age of 60—the 3rd oldest physician workforce in the nation.
Educational Pipeline to Become a Physician
|Residency Program||Location||Established||Number of Residents|
Montana Family Medicine Residency
24 residents / 8 per class
Family Medicine Residency of Western Montana
|Missoula & Kalispell||2013||30 residents / 10 per class|
Billings Clinic Internal Medicine Residency
|Billings||2014||24 residents / 8 per class|
University of Washington Psychiatry Residency Program, Montana Track at Billings Clinic
|Billings||2019||12 residents / 3 per class|
GME Council Membership
|Jim Guyer /
|Montana Family Medicine Residency||Kristin Juliar||MT AHEC/Office of Rural Health|
|Rob Stenger||Family Medicine Residency of Western MT||Rich Rasmussen||Montana Hospital Association|
|Mark Lee||Billings Clinic Internal Medicine Residency||Jean Bransum||Montana Medical Association|
|Julie Kelso||UW Psychiatry Residency Program -MT Track||Cindy Stergar||Montana Primary Care Association|
|Michael Bush||St. Vincent Healthcare||Jay Erickson||WWAMI Asst. Dean Regional Affiars, MT Clinical Coordinator|
|Joyce Dombrouski||Providence St. Patrick Hospital||Joe Thiel||Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education|
|David Lechnar||Community Medical Center||Steve Todd||Critical Access Hospital|
|Virginia Mohl||Billings Clinic||Laurie Francis||Community Health Center|
|Doug Nelson||Kalispell Regional Medical Center|
|Suzanne Allen||UW WWAMI Representative||Greg Holzman||Montana State Medical Office|
|Charlotte Jutila||Montana State University||Brandy Kincheloe||Montana Primary Care Office|
|Reed Humphrey||University of Montana||Steven Williamson||IHS Representative|
|Barry Kenfield||Western MT AHEC||Bronson White||VA Respresentative|
|Martin Teintze||MT WWAMI Director||TBD||Public Member Respresentative|
Administrative support and coordination for the Council is provided by Cindra Stahl with Montana AHEC / Office of Rural Health.